History of the English Language Research Glossary Project
Glossary Entry for paralysis and palsy
1. Every usage of paralysis and palsy up until 1500. Use both the DOE, the MEC/MED, and the OED. Provide 1-2 sentence context on both sides.
2. All syntactic components and definitions from OED (pre-1500), DOE, and MED.
3. Parallel full Scripture passages in OE, ME, Vulgate, and KJV for each appearance, in any language.
4. Complete bibliography of secondary scholarship on the word paralysis and palsy in texts pre-1611.
5. Relevant supplementary materials, such as images.
1. OE usages catalogued; OE definitions
2. ME usages catalogued; ME definitions
3. Parallel Scriptural passages and commentary references completed
4. Bibliography and supplementary materials completed
1. Students will write a brief (500-750 words) research narrative, detailing their contributions to the research and the methods they used.
2. Students will anonymously evaluate other group members’ contributions to the project (250-500 words) by detailing what other group members contributing and any research difficulties the group faced.
A more detailed discussion of this assignment can be found in the article by Dr. McNabb, "We are Living in a Material World: Teaching HEL Through Material Culture," in Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Teaching (SMART) 24.1 (2017).